This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Steak and Cheese Stuffed Peppers


A little weird for someone, prior to last week, that had never made stuffed peppers before- now be making them twice in 2 weeks. Last week I did couscous, corn and black bean stuffed peppers - and they came out amazing!! I loved it so much that I really wanted to do a stuffed pepper with meat in it this week.

I feel like every time I cook small cuts of beef for steak and cheese or stir fries I over cook it. The beef is always grey looking and super rubbery. And Even though I could be using the freshest ingredients- the dishes were always lacking. So, when I saw a variation of this recipe and that they were using roast beef from the deli, I was thrilled!! I didn't have to cook my own beef, and it was gong to be awesomely easy. And it was. Tonight was Oliver's 1st birthday dinner, and I wanted him to have something he hasn't tried before.

                                                               INGREDIENTS:

  • 3 Bell peppers halved and gutted
  • 1 Onion diced
  • 1 cup Sliced mushrooms
  • 1 table spoon minced garlic
  • 3/4 Pound of thin and trim roast beef shredded
  • 1/4 pound of sliced swiss cheese (or whatever you have on hand)
  • 1/4 cup shredded jack cheese
  • Salt to taste
  • Pepper to taste
  • 1 table spoon worcestershire  sauce
  • 1 table spoon steak sauce
Place pepper half's in a pot of water on the stove, simmer for 10 minutes to just lightly soften the peppers.


While peppers are simmering, in a pan sautee onions and bit of left over pepper in olive oil, salt and pepper until soft, add garlic and mushrooms and a little more olive oil. Sautee until mushrooms soften.

Add in the beef, salt, pepper, and sauces. Cook about 2 minutes to combine flavors.

Arrange peppers in a baking dish, put cheese in the bottom of each pepper, then add your steak filling. Top with the 
remainder of the cheese. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes until cheese is melted.

This is a great low-carb version of a steak and cheese sandwich. I cut a stuffed pepper up and the kids ate it on top of linguine. We ate ours with a side salad and baked potato. 



Credits:
Philly Stuffed Peppers




No comments:

Post a Comment