This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Smoky Sweet Potato Burgers with Roasted Garlic Cream and Avocado



When I saw this recipe I knew that I just had to make it. It was surprisingly very simple to make, I made the mix for the "burgers" earlier in the day so it could chill and tighten up in the fridge. The same thing with roasting the garlic for the cream sauce- and throwing that together. So by the time dinner rolled around I just threw the burgers on the griddle and that was that.

SWEET POTATO BURGERS:

  • 2 medium sized sweet potatoes coarsely mashed
  • 1 small can of cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1 egg slightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 avocado sliced
  • whole wheat buns
To cook sweet potatoes, fork them all over place on a paper towel, place in microwave for 5 minutes, turn over and heat for another 5 minutes- when cooled enough scoop flesh from skin.

In a bowl coarsely mash beans then add in sweet potato flesh. Add garlic, panko, flour, egg and seasonings- keep in fridge until ready to use.

ROASTED GARLIC CREAM:
  • 2 bulbs of garlic
  • 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • salt and pepper to taste
To roast the garlic, I peeled all of the cloves- place in a small baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Cover with foil and roast at 375 for about 45 minutes, remove from pan right after so they don't continue to cook and burn on the bottom.

Combine garlic, yogurt, maple syrup and blend together in a food processor or blender until smooth, add salt and pepper to taste. ( I used my magic bullet) Put in fridge until ready to use.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Remove mixture from fridge and form into 4 equal patties, then place in the skillet once hot. Since the mixture can be wet and messy, do not move until they are fully cooked and golden on one side! This takes about 5-6 minutes. Then, add more oil if needed (this really helps cook them) and flip burgers very gently. Cook for another 5-6 minutes. Toast buns if desired.
Assemble burgers with sliced avocados and garlic cream.

This was absolutely delicious. The consistency of the burgers was almost that of hummus because of the mashed beans. And the roasted garlic cream was so good I wish I had made more to keep in the fridge and put on some other things. This made a good amount of burger mix, so it can be kept in the fridge to use for up to a week. Enjoy!
 The boys Loved it!! :)



Credits:


No comments:

Post a Comment