This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Monday, April 29, 2013

Quinoa stuffed Portabello Mushrooms




I made this last week, but haven't had time to post it yet. Just thinking about it now and looking at my pictures makes me want it again!

INGREDIENTS:



  • 6 large portbello mushroom caps
  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1/2 red onion diced
  • 4 cups baby spinach roughly chopped
  • 1 small can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 4 oz fresh mozzarella cubed (I used pearl sized Mozz balls)
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
  • salt and pepper to taste
Bring 1/2 cup quinoa and 1 cup of vegetable broth to a boil in a small pot. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until all the broth is absorbed. Take off the stove and cool to room temperature.

While the quinoa is cooking, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a pan. Add the red onions, and cook until the onions begin to soften. Add the spinach and tomatoes and saute until the spinach is wilted and the mixture is heated through. Season with oregano and salt and pepper to taste.  Add the basil and remove from the stove. Gently stir in the quinoa and let everything cool to room temperature. Once the mixture has cooled, fold in the cubed mozzarella.

Clean out gills of mushroom caps, and wipe them down. Drizzle some olive oil in a 9x13 baking dish and arrange caps to fill them, season inside with salt and pepper. Divide filling equally in mushroom caps, and sprinkle parm cheese on top of them.

Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and everything is heated through. Serve immediately.

This is another pretty simple and flavorful vegetarian dish! I will most defiantly try this again or do a different variation of it. The combination of the fresh basil, oregano and tomato gives this a yummy taste- almost like a deconstructed mushroom pizza with no crust. Enjoy!



Credits:

No comments:

Post a Comment