This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Spinach and Parmesan Orzo with Sun Dried Tomato and Basil Chicken Sausage


I really meant to make this meal last week when I bought the chicken sausage, but by the time the end of the week rolled around Mike wanted to get take out, then the next day when I was going to make it the spinach I had bought specifically for it had gone bad. Ugh I hate throwing food away. So when I went shopping yesterday I was determined to make this meal and finally use that sausage in the fridge. Super easy, the only thing you really have to prepare is the orzo and spinach. The sausage comes pre cooked so after the spinach was done I just threw it in the same pan to brown up and heat.

INGREDIENTS:

  • 4 tablespoons butter, divided 2 tablespoons for the orzo and then 2 for the spinach
  • 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
  • 14.5 ounces of water
  • 2 teaspoons chicken base
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 (10 oz) bag of baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Sun Dried Tomato and Basil Chicken Sausage 
In a sauce pan melt 2 TBS butter and add Orzo- cook for a few minutes until lightly browned, Add water and Chicken base- Bring to boil - Reduce heat - cover and simmer for about 12 minutes or until water is absorbed and pasta is tender.

In another pan melt 2 TBS butter and add garlic- Add whole bag of spinach and sauté until wilted. Set Aside.

Brown sausage for 9 minutes in same pan as spinach.

When orzo is done, add sautéed spinach and Parm Cheese, stir to combine. Add a little pepper and salt if needed.

Serve Sausage on top of Spinach Parmesan Orzo. 



Yummy fast dish to make, from start to end you can pretty much do this in 20 minutes! We ate ours with a side salad as usual. Something you can feel good    about eating afterward. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment