This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Monday, April 8, 2013

Baked Pork Chops with Home Made Apple Sauce, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, and Corn



So here we are, the day before food shopping day- and I'm in my freezer wondering what I have to make for dinner. My philosophy is, if you have a meat- a veggie and a starch thats enough for a complete dinner. So I had a few bone in pork chops in my freezer, 2 sweet potatoes, a can of corn and of course stuff for a salad.  I also had a few apples kicking around, and you know nothing goes better with pork than apple sauce. So I decide to make some home made apple sauce to go with some pork chops and mashed sweet potatoes tonight.

                                                      HOME MADE APPLE SAUCE:

  • 3 Apples ( I had a few different kinds, it really doesn't matter what you use it'll all taste awesome)
  • 2 Cinnamon sticks ( you can use ground cinnamon too)
  • 1/4 cup of juice (you can use any kind I used orange pineapple today)
  • Ground Nutmeg
  • Ground Ginger
Cut your apples into small cubes, add to a small sauce pan, add juice, and spices. Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes or until apples can mash up easily. 

MASHED SWEET POTATOES:

  • 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and diced
  • 1/4 cup of milk
  • 3 table spoons butter
Throw diced, peeled sweet potatoes in a sauce pan and cover with water, boil for about 20 minutes until it is fork tender. Drain and add butter and milk, mash with a masher or break up until smooth with a fork.


BAKED PORK CHOPS:
  • Pork Chops
  • Seasoning you want to use
Bake Pork At 350 for about 12-20 minutes until white on the inside



We also had a side salad and a little corn with this dish. The combination was great. Just enough of everything and the mixture of textures was awesome! I really love that pork rub we used, lemon and rosemary. It compliments the pork so well. If you prefeer a traditional baked pork chop, salt and pepper will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment