This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting


Last week I was perusing Pinterest and found a really awesome pin for "A cupcake for every day of the month". I used to make cupcakes all the time during my pregnancies (when I had a wicked sweet tooth), but haven't made any in a really long time. Tomorrow is Oliver's 1st birthday so I figured I'd make a batch today so he can eat one tomorrow on his big day. I was originally going to do a jam filled lemon cupcake, but changed my mind at the last minute. This recipe was super easy to execute. 

INGREDIENTS:


Cupcakes

  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon red food coloring
  • 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Buttercream Frosting
  • 1 stick room temp butter
  • 2 1/2 cups confect. sugar
  • 1/4 cup of milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
In one bowl you want to combine all of your dry ingredients: Flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder. 

In a separate bowl whisk together wet ingredients: Vegetable oil, buttermilk, egg, food color, vinegar, vanilla.

While mixing at a medium speed, gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture until combined. 

Fill cupcake liners, bake at 350 for 20 minutes ( an inserted toothpick should come out clean).

To make the frosting; beat the butter until smooth and creamy- add the sugar, milk, vanilla and almond, mix until a spreadable consistency.



This recipe was right on! It literally made exactly a dozen cupcakes, with a little left over frosting.



Credits:http://slowrobot.com/i/39918

No comments:

Post a Comment