This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Fun with Egg rolls


I Just posted a pizza I made using some left overs in the fridge. This is another fun way to use up some left overs, or things you normally have around the kitchen. This stemmed from a recipe I saw using egg roll wrappers and string cheese to make mozzarella sticks. I thought that sounded really cool, so those were the first ones we made tonight. Once we got going on stuffing the egg rolls it really became fun, so my husband and I ended up using the entire package of egg roll wrappers and made some really interesting combinations. 

INGREDIENTS:

  • Package of egg roll wrappers
  • What ever you want to fill them with
  • Vegetable oil to fry egg rolls in
The mozzarella stick egg rolls, just a piece of string cheese and roll that baby up. These were served with left over sauce I had in the fridge. (left)

South western egg roll, was a piece of string cheese, and a mixture of corn, black beans, diced tomatoes and cilantro that I had in the fridge from a few other things I made during the week. (right)   



Bean sprouts, scallions and shredded
carrot egg roll. Just items that I had in 
my fridge. (left)

Banana, peanut butter and chocolate
egg rolls. These were my husbands idea
and they came out amazing (right)

Just add some vegetable oil to a deep frying pan on the stove, wait until it gets hot enough a drop of water sizzles, put egg roll gently in oil, seam side   down and fry a few minutes on each side until golden brown. Don't over crowd the pan it'll take about 2-3 minutes each side of the egg roll.


This was so easy and it took under an hour to stuff, and fry these egg rolls in batches. We made about 20 all together.
The only things that I specifically bought for this meal was the egg roll wrappers and the bag of string cheese, so all together it was under $7 to make about 20 egg rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment