This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Sausage Gravy and Biscuits



Yesterday was hubby's birthday, and luckily he was able to work from home. Not so lucky because he was working very late the night before. It was great, he was able to relax, work in his pjs and open cards and gifts with the kids in the morning. I wanted to make him a breakfast/ brunch type meal, but he's been completely against eggs lately. I think the fact that I was making him egg sandwiches and breakfast burritos every morning for like 3 months kind of did it.

So, I've been dying to make some sausage gravy and biscuits. I had everything I needed to make this for weeks now, just waiting for a good opportunity to. This was it! Husbands birthday! What better reason?! So I did it, and it was AMAZING. The best one I've ever made (ok I've only made this like 2 other times before, but still…) Super easy and really quick to make. Browning the sausage is what took the longest, because it was frozen and took a few minutes to soften up enough to break up.

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 pound breakfast sausage (I get the frozen roll kind)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream (you can use 2 cups of milk or pretty much any dairy product, I just had some heavy cream I wanted to use up)
  • lots of black pepper to taste
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 package of refrigerated biscuits 
Brown the sausage in a large skillet. Add in the flour and stir. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then gradually add in the milk and cream. This is the way to keep it thick without getting super runny. Don't just dump all the milk and cream in at once. Add a little at a time, stir, let it thicken up again, then add a little more and repeat until its all combined. Bring gravy to a simmer and add in the sugar and then the black pepper to taste. Bake your biscuits according to directions, then serve gravy over biscuits. 


I had attempted sausage gravy before, and it didn't quite come out the way that I wanted. I didn't incorporate the milk the right way and it was a ton of milk. I made way to much (it was almost double this recipe) and we were stuck eating it for days. This recipe makes just the right amount and is going to be my go-to recipe from now on. Try it out and see for yourself. It was awesome! Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment