This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Crunch Wrap Supremes At Home



Ok, come on. We all love the occasional fast food. This is no secret. I'm not going to sit here and say, " I never eat fast food."- "I never eat out." Those are lies, and no one is that good. I do cook at home the majority of the time, but one of my favorite take out pleasures is the crunch wrap supreme from taco bell. So yummy, and perfect, wrapped up in its own delicious package. However, clocking in at a whopping 540 calories (That's how many calories a full dinner should be), I knew there had to be a better way. 

I've seen these tutorials on Pinterest for a while now, on how to make your own crunch wrap at home- and last night was the night. Hubs found the corn tostadas (a crunchy taco shell but flat) at Shaw's, and the challenge was on. If you have all the ingredients set up ahead of time, these were super fast to make. And the folding wasn't all that difficult either. I thought it was going to be hard, but nope- easy as pie.

INGREDIENTS:

  • 10 inch burrito style flour tortillas
  • corn tostadas
  • shredded cheddar cheese (or you can use nacho sauce or cheese sauce)
  • sour cream
  • shredded lettuce
  • diced tomatos
  • cooked meat of choice ( we had left over pork so thats what we used, you can do ground beef with taco seasoning, shredded chicken- the options are endless)
  • butter or margarine 
  • salsa or hot sauce (optional on side)
Heat a skillet over med/ high heat.

Lay the flour tortilla down.


Put your cheese down.


Then your meat.


Lay the corn tostada on top of the meat and cheese.


Spread the sour cream on top of the corn tostada.


Add the diced tomatoes.


Then the shredded lettuce.


I added a little more cheese after, then you want to fold it all up. Fold a little of the tortilla over at a time, to create a pinwheel shape.


Spread a little bit of butter on the folded side, and place folded side down in the heated skillet. Toast for about 45 seconds until golden brown. Butter the top side, then flip the whole thing over and toast for an additional 30-45 seconds until both sides are golden brown.


There you have it. We ate ours with some more sour cream with fresh cilantro, and mango salsa on the side of dipping. This was an easy weeknight dinner, so we just had some sweet chili Doritos, and green grapes on the side. 

I will be making these again for sure. You can totally prep everything ahead of time, and bang out a lot of these guys to serve a crowd- or just your family for dinner. Try it out and save yourself some calories and money by getting take out. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment