This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Black Bean and Mushroom Veggie Burgers


Another Meatless Monday installment from last night! Some fantastic and pretty meat like veggie burgers. Usually when I make a veggie burger I have a specific recipe that I follow. Not this time, I completely winged it myself and the results were pretty awesome. Even Mike said they had a great meat like consistency. 

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 10z can of cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup fresh baby bella mushrooms
  • 1/2 jalapeño (remove seeds for milder spice)
  • 1/4 cup onion
  • 1/4 cup italian bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1 egg
  • 2 teaspoons crushed walnuts
  • 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon steak sauce
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 small can of mushrooms 
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
  • american cheese and pepper jack cheese
  • 2 table spoons butter and olive oil for frying
  • Wheat buns
  • Lettuce, Red onion, Tomato and Dijon mustard for toppings
Combine 1/2 of the black beans, baby bellas, jalapeño, onion, egg, breadcrumbs, panko in a food processor. Pulse until well combined. Add in the rest of the black beans and just give a little pulse until slightly broken up. 

Empty mixture into a bowl, and add canned mushrooms, worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Refrigerate for an hour.

Heat up 1/2 the butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.

On a plate combine flour and cajun seasoning. Make mixture into desired sized patties and lightly dredge in the flour mixture on both sides. 

Place burgers into heated skillet and fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side- until browned. Transfer to a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Repeat until all of the patties are fried. 

Place a little american and pepper jack cheese on each patty.

Lightly butter the inside of the buns, and place them butter side up on the baking pan with the patties. 

Broil for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the buns are nicely browned. Don't forget about them! The buns will go from toasted to burnt very quickly.

I served these with lettuce, red onion, tomato and dijon mustard ( Mike used ketchup too). I should have taken a picture with all of the ingredients on it, but we were to excited to eat them. If you're looking for a burger that eat like a burger but with no meat, try this one out. Next time I think I'll add a whole jalapeño instead of just the 1/2 - the spice kind of got lost in there. The walnuts were a great addiction for texture. The whole feel of it was super earthy tasting and just yummy. I'd say guilt free, but they were fried. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment