This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Corned Beef and Cabbage (my take on boiled dinner)


So of course, I just had to make some corned beef and cabbage this past weekend for St. Patricks day. It's one of Mike's absolute favorite meals, me - eh I can do without. I wanted to do something a little different than the traditional way my mom always did it so, I tried!

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 corned beef with spice packet (the one we used was a smaller about 3 pounds)
  • 1 large can of Guinness
  • 3 medium parsnips
  • 3 medium carrots
  • 3 minced cloves of garlic
  • 1 head of cabbage
  • 3-4 medium red potatoes cut into quarters
  • 2 tablespoons whole grain dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • butter
Place corned beef into crock pot with spices that comes with it, along with the beer. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

A half hour before the corned beef will be gone, cut up the carrots, parsnips, garlic and cabbage and place into a large pot. Cover with water, and boil until all of the veggies are fork tender. Drain the water and leave the veggies in the pot, add in a few teaspoons of butter- salt and pepper to taste and stir. Set aside.

Take the corned beef out of the crock pot, rinse off any spices that are on it and place into a shallow baking dish. Strain the beer and juices of the spices from the crock pot into a small sauce pan. Add in brown sugar, mustard, worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce by half (about 15 minutes). 

Pour 3/4 sauce on corned beef and bake at 400 for 10 minutes, then pour a little of the remaining sauce into the boiled veggies and stir.

Serve corned beef over the boiled veggies.

This is just what you would expect a boiled dinner to be. If you like it, you know you will like it- and if it's just not for you, than you probably already know it. I only make it once a year- and that is plenty for me. My husband on the other hand… he wishes he could eat it more often. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment