This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Monday, March 3, 2014

Zucchini and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers


Made these guys tonight, and I could not wait to post about it. They were so delicious, the kids chowed down. Not to mention, super healthy and vegetarian too! I'm going to start doing Meatless Monday in our house. As you know, I do cook quite a bit of vegetarian recipes, but this is a commitment to make one day a week meat free. I accept the challenge, and hope to come up with some really great veggie meals!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 red onion finely diced
  • 1 shallot finely diced
  • 4 cloves of garlic minced
  • 2 medium zucchinis shredded and drained (I put mine through the grater on the food processor) 
  • 1 cup corn
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups cooked quinoa 
  • 2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • olive oil
  • 4 large bell peppers cut in half long ways with seeds and ribbing taken out
  • a handful of halved cherry tomatoes 
  • mozzarella and parmesan cheese for topping
In a large sauté pan heat up some olive oil over medium heat, and add in the onion and shallot. Cook about 5 minutes until translucent, then add in garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes. Add in zucchini, corn and quinoa and seasonings. Cook about 5 minutes until all of the flavors are married together. Season to taste, if it needs a little more of something add it. 

Arrange the halved peppers in a 9x13 baking dish, and evenly distribute the zucchini quinoa mixture into each half pepper. Place a few of the sliced cherry tomatoes in each pepper and top with mozzarella and parm cheese.


Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes, or until the peppers are fork tender and the cheese is melted. 

These were so flavorful, easy to make, and completely guilt free. They would also make a great side dish with some meat too. Cheers!


                                              
                                               Ollie loving his stuffed pepper tonight!



No comments:

Post a Comment