This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Baked Parmesan Chicken Tenders with Sweet Potato and Corn Mash


In a never ending quest for kid friendly dishes, I realized this recipe was staring me right in the face. Literally. I was making the kids pancakes the other day and I noticed this recipe was on the back of the bisquick box. I pretty much did exactly what it said, the directions were straightforward enough. The only thing I will probably change next time is baking on parchment paper instead of the tinfoil. The batter stuck a little bit to the foil, and it didn't quite crisp up the way that I had hoped it would have. Alas, I do believe that parchment will fix both of those issues. 

INGREDIENTS:

Parmesan Chicken Tenders:
  • 1 package of thin cut chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch strips
  • 2/3 cup of bisquick
  • 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 egg slightly beaten

Sweet Potato Corn Mash:
  • 1 large sweet potato
  • 1 cup of caned corn
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
Line a baking sheet with tinfoil (I would use parchment paper instead), and spray with cooking spray. In a large ziplock bag combine bisquick, cheese, garlic salt, paprika. Doing a few at a time, dip chicken strips in egg then place into bag and shake to completely coat the pieces. Place on baking sheet, then repeat with the rest of the chicken.

baked tenders

Bake at 450 for 15 minutes, flipping the chicken over 1/2 way through. Make sure they are no longer pink in the center.

To make the sweet potato mash, poke several holes in the sweet potato with a fork. Wrap in a wet paper towel and place on a plate. Microwave for 5 minutes, flip potato over and microwave for another 5 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes then cut in half and scrape the insides of sweet potato into a bowl, discarding the skin. Mix in the cheddar cheese, corn and season with salt and pepper. Heat for an additional 1-2 minutes if needed.

sweet potato and corn mash

I served the chicken tenders and sweet potato mash with cranberry sauce and a biscuit for the kiddos and Hubby. However for myself, I made a little dressing out of light mayo and the cranberry sauce. Then spread it on a whole wheat wrap with my chicken tenders along with some red onion, tomato and lettuce for myself. It was an awesome take on a 'thanksgiving wrap'. A nice light dinner for me, but the kids and hubby loved the sweet potato and corn mash. Cheers!

kids plate
the spread






Credits to the Bisquick Box!





No comments:

Post a Comment