This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Broccoli and Cheddar Stuffed Chicken


I love making chicken this way! One of my favorite things to make is my Jalapeño Popper Chicken. I stuffed these guys with a ton of steamed broccoli, shredded cheddar and velveeta slices. The velveeta ended up mostly melting out , so maybe next time I'll stick with just the shredded cheese- but with the amount of broccoli I put in, it was a great guilt free dish.

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 package this sliced chicken breasts
  • 1 head of broccoli, steamed broken into small pieced and seasoned with salt and pepper
  • 4-6 small slices of velveeta cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
  • olive oil
  • italian seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1 lemon
  • salt and pepper
  • tooth picks
First you want to flatted the chicken breasts out a little more. It makes it easier for rolling. Place 1 piece at a time into a large ziplock bag, pound out with a mallet or rolling pin. Be careful not to break the chicken apart.

Slice lemon in half and In a small dish juice the lemon and add a little olive oil and salt and pepper.

In another small dish add bread crumbs.

Once all of the chicken is flattened, place one piece on a plate. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle a little of the shredded cheese, followed by some steamed broccoli, and then a small slice of velveeta.


Roll the chicken and fillings up as tight as you can, make sure to keep everything tucked into the chicken. Toothpick the sides to make sure nothing falls out.

Dunk chicken into the lemon juice and oil. Then Roll in breadcrumbs. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. 

Repeat steps with the rest of chicken, and filling ingredients.

Bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. 












You can use this method with pretty much any ingredients you think of for the filling. It's also a fun way to get the kids to eat some more veggies. Next time I really want to try an apple and brie filling. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment