This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Zucchini Parmesan Subs



When I first saw the recipe I based this meal off of, it called for breading and frying the zucchini in oil. Normally I would do that, but since we're trying to eat healthy I opted for baking the zucchini instead. And honestly, You really can't tell the difference- It still had a great crunch, and this made for an amazing sandwich. I would try this exact same recipe with eggplant sometime too.

INGREDIENTS:


  • 3 medium zucchini sliced into 3" x 1/2" sticks
  • 1 large egg white
  • 1/3 cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
  • 2 tbsp grated Pecorino Romano cheese
  • cooking spray
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • salt
  • fresh pepper
In a small bowl, beat egg whites and season with salt and pepper. In a ziplock bag,place breadcrumbs, garlic powder and cheese and shake well. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.

Dip zucchini sticks into eggs then into bread crumb and cheese mixture, a few at a time and shake to coat. Place the breaded zucchini in a single layer and spray more cooking spray on top. Bake at 425° for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.

While You're doing the zucchini you can whip together a really quick sauce for the subs:
  • 1/2 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (used the other half for another recipe)
  • 3/4 can of tomato paste (used 2 tablespoons for another recipe)
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1/4 chopped onion
  • olive oil
  • italian seasoning
  • salt
  • pepper
Saute onions in a small sauce pan with olive oil for about 2 minutes until softened. Add garlic cook another minute.

Add diced tomatos and tomato paste, and seasonings. Cook on low and stir for about 20 minutes (while zucchini is cooking ).

Once the sauce and the zucchini are done, you can assemble the subs. I like to toast the rolls a little before so I baked them at 350 for about 5 minutes. Add a little sauce to the bottom, then the zucchini and top with some parm cheese. 

Stick them under the broiler in the oven for about 2 minutes until the cheese is melted (don't burn the bread). 

These subs were so yummy and guilt free ( I used wheat sub rolls ). They reheated really good too, the next day. I will most certainly make these again - or try doing eggplant instead of the zucchini. enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment