This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Steak tips with a Jalapeño Cucumber Chimichurri Sauce



So when I first saw this recipe that I wanted to do it was a grilled skirt steak with a roasted jalapeño chimichurri on top. First, the supermarket I went to didn't have skirt steak, so I got sirloin tips. Then as I started to make the sauce I didn't have 2 cups each of the cilantro and parsley ( I grow my own herbs in a garden box) - So I had to improvise with what I had. And this is what I came up with.

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1.5 lbs Sirloin tips
  • Olive oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 3 Jalapeño peppers (whole)
  • 1 cucumber de-seeded and diced
  • 1 cup greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro 
  • 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon dill
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
First you want to grill or broil your jalapeños until they are charred on all sides. This will take 5-10 minutes depending on how you're doing it.



After they have cooled you want to remove the seeds and stems (the seeds are where the majority of the spice is so make sure you get rid of all of them. This will still be pretty spicy because I used 3 peppers, Id say use 2 if you don't want it as spicy).

Add the jalapeños, cucumber, yogurt, cilantro, parsley, garlic, dill and sugar to a food processor and blend. You can adjust the amount of yogurt to how spicy it is an if you want to cool it down.

Drizzle a little bit of olive oil on the steak, and season generously with salt and pepper. 

Grill steak until desired doneness - and drizzle the sauce on top to serve.

We ate our's with a baked sweet potato on the side.


This was a really interesting sauce, that I have never made before. The greek yogurt and cucumber really offset the spiciness. I would definitely try this again and either use 2 jalapeños instead of 3 or actually make sure I have enough herbs on hand and try making a traditional chimichurri.


No comments:

Post a Comment