This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Stuffed Peppers with Ground Turkey and Feta

                                                  

For the past few months, whenever I've made stuffed peppers they've been vegetarian. So I decided to try my hand at a meat filled stuffed pepper for once. They came out awesome, and this is how I did it.

INGREDIENTS:

  • 3 Bell peppers (there was enough filling to do 4-5 peppers)
  • 1.5 lbs ground turkey
  • 1/2 of a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (I used the rest for my zucchini parm subs the next night)
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 2 stalks of celery small diced
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste ( again I used the rest of the small can for zucchini parm)
  • 2 tablespoons dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper
  • 2 teaspoon salt
  • 1- 1/2  cups crumbled feta cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet on the stove. Once hot, add the onion and celery, and saute for 5 minutes until soft. Add the minced garlic and continue sauteing for another minute.

Turn the heat to high. Add the tomato paste to the skillet and mash the onions, celery and garlic together with the paste. Cook for three minutes, stirring continuously.
Add the ground turkey and brown with the veggies. This should take about six minutes.
Then, add the diced tomatoes, salt, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes, until sauce reduces and isn’t as runny. Remove pan from heat and stir in the feta cheese.
Place the green bell peppers on a tin foil-lined sheet tray. Fill each pepper with turkey and feta mixture. Add a littly more feta on top. Once all peppers have been filled, cover peppers with a large piece of tin foil and seal.

Bake peppers for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
These came out really delicious and is something I'd most definitely make again. I served these with roasted red potatoes, which are extremely easy to make.
                                   
INGREDIENTS:
  • 5-6 small red potatoes, washed and cut into bit sized pieces
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
Combine all ingredients and place in a foil lined baking dish. Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes or until you can pierce potato with a fork.


The combination of these two dishes were amazing- I highly recommend doing them together! 




No comments:

Post a Comment