This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Monday, June 24, 2013

Tender Pork Chops with Caramelized Apples and Onions



I made this the other night, and oh my goodness. I have never had a thick cut pork chop cooked this way. It was so tender and fall off of the bone delicious. And the apples and onions made it so moist and flavorful. I don't think I'll ever make bone in pork chops any other way again. Try this and you will not be disappointed!

INGREDIENTS:

  • 4 bone-in pork loin chops (at least 1/2-inch thick)
  • 2-3 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced about 1/4-inch thick
  • 1-2 yellow onions, sliced
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish. 

Place the onion slices in an even layer over the bottom of the dish. Top the onion slices with the apples. 

Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the apples and onions. 

Season the pork chops generously on both sides with salt and pepper. 

Arrange the pork chops in a single layer on top of the apples and onions. 

Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake in the preheated oven for three hours. Do not open the oven and lift the foil – the pork chops, apples and onions need to be tightly covered the whole time to work their magic (and not dry out).

I served my chops with freshly snapped green beans and roasted red potatoes. Don't forget to smother the chops with all of that onion apple goodness at the end, it will be amazing! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment