This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken with Southwestern Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes


So, I have what I like to call my "Easy dinner nights". And if It's not take out night, I want it to be a meal that I can cook in under 30 minutes. Last night was grocery shopping night, and since I didn't get home until later- I wanted an easy dinner. Still I was craving something filling and satisfying. And I thought of this right before I left to go shopping. I had a large sweet potato in my pantry and had my husband bake it while I was out. So it would be ready for me to prepare by the time I got home to make the rest of the meal. 

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 large sweet potato ( This is for 2, we each had half)
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 2 teaspoons pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 chopped red onion
  • 1/2 cup corn
  • 1/2 cup black beans (drained and rinsed)
  • 1 package (about 6 small pieces) boneless skinless chicken thighs
  • juice from 2 limes
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 slices pepper jack cheese (for topping of potato)
Preheat the oven to 375, pierce the sweet potato with a fork multiple times, rub with a little olive oil and sea salt, place in a foiled baking dish and bake for about 90 minutes. Check after an hour you should be able to poke right through it if its done.

Place chicken in a ziplock bag along with salt, pepper, lime juice, garlic, and cilantro. Let sit out and marinate for about 15 minutes.


Grill chicken for about 5 minutes on each side, until cooked.

While chicken is cooking, sauté the onions with some olive oil in a small pan for about 2 minutes until softened. Add corn and beans and cook for another minute or two. Set it aside.


Take your sweet potato, cut it in half. scoop the insides out of both halves into a bowl. Add the corn and bean mixture to the sweet potatoes, add salt and pepper to taste and combine until smooth.

Replace the mixture back into the potato skins, and top with some pepper jack cheese. Bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes- until cheese is melted.



This dinner was awesome! We cut the chicken, almost shredded it and served it next to the potato with a dollop of sour cream. I will most certainly make this again!



No comments:

Post a Comment