This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Monday, January 27, 2014

Jalapeño Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes




I've made scalloped potatoes before, but always made the mistake of taking them out too soon and the potatoes were still undercooked. This time I made sure they cooked through and this recipe came out amazing!! It was super easy too, took only about 15 minutes to prepare. 

INGREDIENTS:
  • 3-4 medium potatoes (peeled if thick skinned)
  • 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 small chopped onion
  • 1/2 jalapeño pepper chopped
  • 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk 
  • 1 teaspoon mustard
  • Pinch cayenne pepper
  • paprika
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese
  • green onion for topping at end

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch thick slices and set aside. I put mine through my food processor and it took like a minute.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and jalapeño and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in milk,  mustard, cayenne pepper and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
Arrange half of potato slices in a lightly greased 9-inch square glass baking dish or i used a round pie dish. Spread half of milk mixture over potatoes and top with 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat layering with remaining potatoes, milk mixture and cheese. Sprinkle a little salt and paprika on the top.
Bake for about 1 hour, until the potatoes are tender and the cheese is brown hot and bubbly. Garnish with some chopped green onion.




No comments:

Post a Comment