This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Pad Thai




After roasting a turkey last week I feel like I've been using the leftovers for days. Mike told me I just had to make a pad thai… So I did. Of course you can replace the turkey for chicken and do a traditional chicken pad thai or no meat at all for a veggie option. It's up to you!

INGREDIENTS:

For peanut sauce:

  • 3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
  • 1 can full fat coconut milk
  • 2 tablespoons red thai curry paste
  • 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar 
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded or cubed turkey (or chicken or no meat at all for veggie)
For pad thai:
  • 2 tablespoons veggie oil
  • 1 yellow onion diced
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
  • 3 eggs slightly beaten
  • 1 large carrot grated
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 2 cups bean sprouts
  • 1/4 cups diced green onions (scallions)
  • 2 cups dry rice noodles
Start by making the sauce, we want to add the peanut butter, coconut milk, curry paste, vinegar into a sauce pan and bring to a light boil. Reduce heat to low and add in the turkey so it absorbs the flavor.

Meanwhile put the rice noodles into a bowl of warm water for a few minutes to soften them.

In a large cast iron skillet add the veggie oil and heat up over medium heat. Add in the onion and sauté until softened. Add in the garlic and ginger and cook for another 1-2 minutes. 

Add in the beaten eggs, and cook thoroughly (making a scrambled egg essentially).

Add in the softened, drained rice noodles, and the peanut sauce with turkey. stirring for a few minutes combining the ingredients.

Finally remove from heat and toss in the green onions, carrots, and bean sprouts. Top with peanuts if desired.


My husband and my dad raved about this for days afterwards, and I'll take their word for it that it was delicious. I wasn't feeling well that night so I went to bed without eating. But, it was all gone in the morning, so I assume that it was good!! If you like pad thai and have had it before than you will enjoy making this at home! Super easy and healthy! You can also just completely omit the turkey and make this a vegetarian dish. Cheers!


Credits: turkey pad thai

No comments:

Post a Comment