This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Chunky Tomato Sauce and Sausage with Spicy Rigatoni



The hubs was working late last night and I wanted to make something that would still be good sitting in the microwave for a little bit until he got home. Also, I had a limited amount of meat stored in my freezer to be working with… (separating meats). So I decided on using a half a bag of stored italian sausage (2 1/2 links), and make a chunky tomato sauce and spicy rigatoni. This was the perfect amount of food ( The kids even had it, I just added the extra heat into it after they had already eaten).


INGREDIENTS:

  • Mild italian sausage ( I used 2 1/2 links)
  • 1/2 diced yellow onion
  • 1 teaspoon diced garlic
  • 1 can petite diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 2 teaspoons flour
  • salt
  • pepper
  • powdered garlic
  • red pepper flakes
  • butter
  • italian shredded cheese
  • rigatoni pasta
First we want to start browning the sausage links in a large cast iron skillet, let it go on medium high heat until all sides are brown.

Then add the diced onion, let it cook for a few minutes until starting to brown, then add the garlic, cook for another minute then add the can of diced tomatoes.

Let that cook for a minute or two then take out the sausage links, cut into 1/2 inch rounds and return to the pan. Add in the flour, let cook for another minute and thicken up- then add the red wine. Reduce heat, and let this simmer for a few minutes before adding in the salt, pepper, garlic powder and some red pepper (to taste). Keep heat on low and cover for 15 minutes.

Cook pasta according to directions, and after you drain it- add in some butter, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and italian cheese. 

Make bowls with pasta and top with the chunky sauce and some more cheese.

Adjust all of the seasonings when you are cooking to your own taste.

This was an awesome sauce and I really enjoyed eating this pasta dish with a nice side salad last night! Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment