This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Turkey Pot Pie


I made this pot pie with left over roasted turkey, but you can just as easily replace that with chicken if thats what you have on hand. I usually do chicken. This is a recipe that is so easy to do if you have frozen or canned veggies laying around you can whip this together in no time. I got this particular recipe (but for chicken) from my friend Laurel 2 or 3 years ago. I've stuck with it the whole time and I just love the way this comes out. The gravy and crust comes out just like the chicken pot pies we all know and love. 

INGREDIENTS:

  • 5 tablespoons butter
  • 1/3 cup bisquick
  • 1/2 finely chopped onion
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon 
  • 2 cups shredded or chopped turkey (or chicken)
  • 2-3 cups of veggies (use canned or frozen whatever you'd like. This dish I used frozen peas and carrots, canned corn, and potatoes)
First since I used a fresh potato, I peeled and diced it then threw it in a pot to boil until soft. There's nothing worse then a raw, crunchy potato in pot pie. When the potato pieces are fork tender, drain and set aside. Set aside the rest of the veggies you are going to be using, and the turkey or chicken in a bowl so it's all ready when you need it.














Melt butter in a large cast iron skillet then add in bisquick, onion, salt and pepper all at once and stir until it becomes bubbly.











Add in milk, water and chicken bouillon stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes until it starts to boil and thicken. Stir in all of your veggies and meat into the sauce. (Taste and make sure all the seasoning is correct, add more salt or pepper if necessary). Reduce the heat to low and make the topping.


Topping is 2 cups of bisquick, and 1/2 cup of water. Combine well and roll out into an approx 9x13 rectangle.


Transfer pot pie filling to a 9x13 baking dish, and cover with the bisquick crust you rolled out.


Bake at 425 for 15 minutes.


Once you've made a home made pot pie this way and see how easy and delicious it is, you'll never buy a frozen one again! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment