This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Adult Famous Bowl (Onion Pulled Pork)


"Adult Famous Bowls" - as me and my husband like to call them (after the KFC Famous Bowl), are a really awesome- easy and filling meal that isn't just for adults. The bowls differ depending what we have in the house, but usually consist of a layering of potatoes, corn, meat and shredded cheese. This one that I made last night was especially delicious, if I do say so myself. This is how it did it:

INGREDIENTS:

  • small piece of pork loin ( we had about a half pound of frozen pork loin, you can pretty much use any kind of pork since its going in the crock pot- it just depends on how many people you're serving.
  • French onion soup ( we had about a cup and a half of left over home made soup from the day before, but I'm sure canned would be fine. You just need the liquid to cook the pork in)
  • can of creamed corn
  • potatoes for baking
  • shredded cheddar cheese (for topping)
  • scallions ( for topping)
  • dollop of plain greek yogurt (for topping)
Place the pork in the crock pot with the french onion soup, cook on low for about 8 hours until you can pull it apart.

Bake some potatoes, this is the awesome recipe I used: easy baked potato

When the pork and potatoes are done, you are ready to assemble. Place the baked potato in the bottom of a bowl, break up a little with a fork and add a little butter. Then add your desired amount of creamed corn on top of the potato. Top that with the onion pulled pork. Finally add the cheese, greek yogurt and scallions if you'd like as a final touch. 

I love when we make these bowls. They truly are just the right amount of everything, and will fill you up. This whole meal cost under $5 to make, and with all ingredients that I had in the house already. Try it out, you won't be disappointed! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment