This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Adult Famous Bowl (Pulled Chicken)


A few months ago I posted about these awesome "adult famous bowls" that Mike and I love to make. The previous post was done with pulled pork over baked potatoes. This time I made pulled chicken with home made sauce over mashed potatoes. Pretty much the same thing, ending in completely yummy results.

INGREDIENTS:
(For Pulled Chicken)

  • 4-6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
  • 1 diced onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • salt and pepper
Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken, and place in crock pot.


In a small bowl mix together onion, garlic, honey, soy sauce, ketchup, veggie oil and red pepper flakes.


Pour sauce over chicken, and combine so it is well coated. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.

When it's all done, the chicken should be easily shredded.


For Famous Bowl:
  • Mashed potatoes (see easy recipe below- or use your favorite recipe)
  • Cooked Veggie of choice (we used frozen corn with broccoli)
  • Pulled Chicken
  • Shredded cheddar cheese
  • Sour cream
  • Green onion
In a bowl, place potatoes on the bottom, then cooked veggies, pulled chicken and shredded cheese. 

Place on a baking sheet, and put under broiler for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven (Be careful bowl will be hot!) 

Top with a dollop of sour cream and green onion. 

For Quick Mashed Potatoes:
  • 3-4 potatoes diced
  • 1/2 stick of butter
  • 1/2 cup of milk
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Place diced potatoes in medium pot (I leave skins on), cover potatoes with water- cover pot. Boil over medium/ high heat for about 15 minutes until potatoes are cooked through and you can pierce with a fork.

Drain potatoes, and return back to pot. Stir in butter and milk- then mash until desired consistency with a potato masher. Add in cheese and salt and pepper to taste. 

This is one of our favorite meals to make. Just something about having everything you want, in one bowl- the combinations of flavors are just awesome. 

Something like this I call my fake out- take out. The KFC famous bowl is mashed potatoes, chicken pieces, corn and gravy. Its really good, don't get me wrong.

 This is an amped up adult version. When you make things yourself its just so much better tasting- and you have the pride of being able to say, "Damn I just made that, and its totally freaking amazing". I dare you to try this out. It just might make its way into your favorite meals too. Cheers!

Chicken Adapted from: slow cooker honey chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment