This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Cheesy Spaghetti Squash, Zucchini and Tomato Bake


So this can be a main course, or a veggie side dish. I threw this together last Friday and it was pretty awesome. I cooked the spaghetti squash in the slow cooker. Which was like the easiest way I have ever done it. And actually throwing this dish together after that was cooked took like 15 minutes. 

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 medium spaghetti squash
  • 1 medium zucchini, sliced into medium thickness discs
  • 2 medium tomatoes, sliced medium thick
  • 2 cups mozzarella cheese
  • italian seasoning
  • salt and pepper
To cook the squash in the slow cooker- wash it thoroughly, poke 5-10 holes in with a knife. Place in slow cooker with 2 cups water. Cook on low for 6 hours.

Once the squash is done, carefully remove from slow cooker- allow to cool for a few until its easier to handle. Slice in half and scoop out all of the seeds from the middle. Scoop the rest of the squash flesh out of the skin and into a strainer to drain the access water off.

While you're preparing the squash, you should throw your zucchini slices into a pot with 1/4 cup of water, cover and steam for 3-4 minutes. Drain.

In a medium baking dish place 1/3 of the spaghetti squash on the bottom, then 1/3 zucchini, 1/3 tomato slices- some salt and pepper and italian seasoning then 1/3 of cheese. Repeat these steps so you have 3 layers of cheesy seasoned veggies. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Broil for 1-2 min for a brown crispy top.

Like I said above, this could work for a main veggie dish- or a side dish. Either way, it was really good. I've been digging doing cheesy bakes lately. And when its all veggies, you don't have to feel to guilty about it, right? Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment