This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Monday, April 14, 2014

Vegetable Alphabet Soup


This was my meatless Monday installment from last week. I know I've been slacking with the posts lately- that just means I have to do a bunch of posts at once. This recipe was super easy to do- and the kids adored it! The kids had theirs with grilled cheese. Me and Mike had ours with grilled caprese (fresh mozzarella, fresh basil and tomato) sandwiches. So so good. The original recipe called for adding a cup of water at the end, but I didn't. So mine ended up more like spaghetti-o's, or a pasta dish- rather than soup. Depending on how you want it- add or don't add water at the end. 

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 46-ounce bottle tomato juice
  • 1 14.5 oz can Diced Tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 14.5 oz can Del Monte® Whole Green Beans
  • 1 14.5 oz can Carrots (diced)
  • 1 14.5 oz Del Monte® Whole Kernel Corn
  • 1 14.5 oz can of cooked potatoes (diced)
  • 1 -2 14.5 ounce can full of water (I didn't add this and it ended up like spaghetti-o's rather than soup so add water if you want a thinner soup)
  • 2 tablespoon bullion base (beef, chicken, or vegetable)
  • 3 tablespoons parsley
  • 2 tablespoons dried basil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 12-ounce box alphabet pasta
  • salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat- cook the onions until translucent. Add in the rest of the ingredients except the pasta. Bring to a boil, then add in the alphabet pasta. Continue to boil for about 10 minutes, string frequently- until the pasta is cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

This takes less than 30 minutes to make and literally made a shit ton. We ate it for days afterwards- on top of me giving some left overs to my friend Kristy. So be prepared to have a lot of left overs. Also- this was kid friendly, the alphabet pasta was a hit. Plus it is packed with veggies! Cheers!

Maxx approved

Ollie making a mess 



No comments:

Post a Comment