This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Creamed Spinach with Mushrooms


So this was made to go along with the Chicken Cordon Bleu I made the other night. We sort of just smothered the chicken with it. It's more or less spinach and mushrooms in a yummy alfredo sauce. It was amazing. I only used one bag of baby spinach, so it was really only enough for 2-3 people (the kids count as 1 together). So if you're going to be cooking for more than that, throw in an extra bag of spinach- the sauce should be enough for the extra spinach. 

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 bag of baby spinach ( I would do 2 next time)
  • 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1 clove of garlic minced
  • 1 shallot finely diced
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 2 tablespoons butter 
  • 3/4 cup of heavy cream 
  • 1/2 cup of parm cheese
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • salt and pepper to taste
In a skillet over medium heat, melt 1/2 the butter. Add in the shallots and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add in the garlic and cook another minute. Add in the mushrooms and sautee until softened and lightly browned. 

Add in the rest of the butter and let it melt. Then the flour, and whisk until it starts to thicken.

Slowly add in the cream a little at a time, while whisking- if it seems to thick add in a little more cream. Then reduce heat to medium/ low- and add in the cheese. Let the cheese melt and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Throw in the whole bag of spinach and cover. Let it wilt for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to incorporate the sauce.

Cook down until the spinach is completely wilted. Taste and check the seasoning - add more if needed.

LIke I said, we served this amazing creamed spinach over chicken cordon bleu. And it was fabulous. Super decadent- and the flavors went so well together. Next time I'm going to do a few more bags of spinach, because it was that good. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment