This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Monday, April 14, 2014

Grilled Caprese Sandwiches


This is one of me and Mikes favorite sandwiches to make. So yummy and fresh, it reminds him of the street food in Italy. We had these sandwiches with veggie alphabet soup last week for Meatless Monday! It was actually a great combo together. And you can't beat getting all those extra veggies.

INGREDIENTS:

  • Bread of your choice (we used fresh scali bread)
  • fresh basil 
  • tomato slices
  • fresh mozzarella 
  • butter or margarine for grilling of the bread.
On one piece of bread place- a little mozzarella, then tomato slices, then basil ( I break it up a little), then a little more mozzarella to hold the whole thing together. Place your second piece of bread on top. Give it a little butter on the top piece and place butter side down into a hot pan- or panini press. Cook until its browned, then butter the other piece of bread, flip the sandwich and cook until browned and cheese is melted. 


If you know how to make a grilled cheese you're golden. Try this one out though its seriously such an awesome sandwich! Cheers!


1 comment:

  1. Made this for dinner tonight along with the veggie alphabet soup, so delicious!! I'm always looking for something new and different for dinner, thanks for sharing your recipes. I'm going to try a new one every week! (Hopefully!) :)

    ReplyDelete