This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Friday, September 18, 2015

Skillet Chicken Pot Pie


OK- Lets talk about the easiest chicken pot pie you will ever make. The filling is made right in the cast iron skillet, then just throw a crust on top and bake it. This is my go to pot pie recipe my friend Laurel gave me a long time ago. I've adjusted it a little over the years, but the premise is the same. 

INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup Bisquick 
  • 1 small onion diced 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chicken bullion
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 cups cooked chicken
  • 1 can of corn drained
  • 1 cup diced potatoes (cooked)
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
For the Crust:
  • 2 cups Bisquick
  • 1/2 cup water
In a large cast iron skillet melt the butter over medium high heat.

Add in the onions, bullion, salt and pepper, and sauté for a minute or two.

Add in the Bisquick and stir until bubbly. 

Slowly add in the milk and water, letting the roux thicken up while you're adding it in. 

Reduce to a simmer and add in the veggies and chicken. 

Stir to combine, season to taste. 

Remove from heat- set aside. 

Make the crust: 

Combine the additional Bisquick and water, until a dough is made.

Roll the crust out and place on top of the filling in the skillet. 

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.

UPDATE: Laurel suggested using milk in leu of water for the crust- will be trying this tonight!





And here you have it. Feel free to make the filling in a regular pan and then transfer that into a 9x13 baking dish if you prefer. I really liked doing it this way, because it was one less pan for me to clean up afterwards. We always serve our chicken pot pie with chilled cranberry sauce on the side. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment