This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Mushroom Stuffed Potato Cutlets

                                           

This was last weeks Meatless Monday. They were a lot of fun to make and not to time consuming. Anyone that knows me could tell you that, I hate working with dough. Any sort of crusts, bread floury kind of deal I try to avoid. So I was a little hesitant at first doing this, forming things out of potato mush I mean. It ended up being great though, and filling! I will most certainly be doing this again, and like I always say - play around with the fillings and what I can do with different flavor combinations!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 6 large potatoes
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 8oz baby bella mushrooms rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 onion diced
  • 1 teaspoon parsley
  • olive oil
  • salt
  • pepper
  • cornmeal
  • sour cream (for garnish)
  • chives (for garnish)
Peel the potatoes and give them a rinse. 


Cut into pieces, place in pot, cover with water and generously salt.


Boil over medium high, until fork tender and cooked through. 

While the potatoes are cooking make the mushroom onion filling.


Over medium high heat, heat a medium skillet. Add a little olive oil. Add mushrooms and onions, parsley, salt and pepper to taste. 

Sautee until cooked through about 5 minutes. Set aside.

Once the potatoes are cooked through, drain then return to pot and set aside. 

Allow the potatoes to completely cool. 

Mash potatoes with a potato masher, add in the egg then flour and continue mashing the potatoes until they are smooth.

Add in salt and pepper to taste. 

On a cutting board coated with corn meal place 2-3 tablespoons of potato, and flatten into a disk.

Add 2 teaspoons of mushroom mixture into center of disk.



Fold each end in to completely cover mushroom mixture, and form into a sealed cutlet.

Roll each cutlet in cornmeal, and set aside.



Once all of the cutlets are made, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.

Once hot add in cutlets, doing only 2 at a time as to not over crowd the pan.

Fry for about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.

Serve with sour cream and chives. 


Another successful and not to mention kid friendly Meatless Monday Meal completed! Can't ask for anything more than that. Cheers!












No comments:

Post a Comment