This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Butternut Squash Alfredo Stuffed Shells


Ever in search for amazing Meatless Monday meals, I came up with this beauty yesterday. They were so delicious the 4 of us ate the whole pan full. I will most certainly be making this again. My 3 year old must have eaten like 3 or 4 shells in one sitting. 

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 medium butternut squash
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • about 3/4 box of jumbo shells
  • 1 small container of ricotta 
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella 
  • 1/4 cup grated parm cheese
  • 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1 diced tomato
  • 1 cup alfredo sauce
  • italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375. 

Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds. 

Rub it with a little olive oil, and season inside with salt and pepper.

Place flesh side down on baking pan, pierce tops of squash with a knife a few times.

Add 1/2 a cup of water to baking dish.

Bake squash for 40-45 minutes, until cooked through. 

Allow squash to cool a bit.

While squash is cooling, boil the jumbo shells in salt water for about 8 minutes or until softened.

Drain and set shells aside.

When squash has cooled enough to handle, scoop flesh into a medium sized bowl.

Add ricotta, italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.

Mix well to combine.


Place 1/2 alfredo sauce on bottom of a 9x13 baking dish

Stuff all the shells with the squash ricotta mixture, and place in baking dish.

Top with diced tomato. 

Drizzle the remainder of the alfredo sauce on shells. 

Top shells with mozzarella, parm and bread crumbs.


Cover with tinfoil and bake at 325 for 45 minutes. 

We served these shells with leftover green bean almondine from Sunday Supper. And let me tell you the combination was just incredible. The addition of the almonds and crunchy green beans to this rich cheesy dish was so delicious. I highly recommend trying this recipe ASAP. Cheers!






No comments:

Post a Comment