This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Hawaiian Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Fried Rice



Yes, I know! Another stuffed "something", but they're always so good. I love coming up with different flavor combinations. This dish was actually really fun to make. I've only made my own fried rice one other time- and it definitely wasn't as good as this time. I took to the time to season and adjust flavors as needed, because brown rice can need a little help sometimes other wise it'll be totally bland.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 thin sliced, lightly pounded out chicken breasts
  • 4 slices ham
  • 4 pieces pepper jack cheese
  • pineapple chunks
  • bread crumbs
  • lemon juice
  • olive oil
  • jalapeños (garnish)
For fried rice:
  • 3 cups cooked brown rice
  • 1/2 onion diced
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon garlic 
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn (thawed)
  • 1 cup frozen peas and carrots (thawed)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • garlic powder to taste
  • soy sauce to taste
Pound out the chicken breasts until flat and thin, careful not to tear them.



In a bowl add a little bread crumbs. In a second bowl combine a 
little lemon juice and olive oil. This will be your breading station.


Take a piece of ham place a piece of cheese 
then a few pineapple chunks in the middle.


Place each piece of ham on a chicken cutlet and roll.
 Securing ends with toothpicks.

Dip each stuffed chicken in the lemon/oil, then in the bread crumbs. 
Be sure to coat evenly. 

Place in a lightly oiled baking dish.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes
 (or until chicken is completely cooked through).

FRIED RICE:

While the chicken is baking, you can make the fried rice.

In a skillet over medium high heat melt the butter. 

Throw in the onions and sauté 2-3 minutes. 

Add in garlic and sauté about a minute, just until fragrant.

Add in the veggies, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  

Sauté 2-3 minutes.

Push veggies to one side of skillet.

Crack both eggs into the pan, season with salt and pepper then scramble them until cooked through.

Mix eggs with veggies.

Add in cooked brown rice, stirring to combine all ingredients. 

Add in honey, soy sauce and seasoning to taste.


We served the stuffed chicken and fried rice with more pineapple chunks and jalapeño slices. If it were just me and my husband eating I would have added jalapeños into the chicken itself. That would have been to spicy for the kiddos, so we just had ours on the side. Ridiculously good dinner. Just sitting here typing this recipe makes me 
want more  fried rice! It was extremely easy to do and it's so much better
 when it's home made and not  all greasy. Cheers!

















No comments:

Post a Comment