This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Friday, September 18, 2015

Buttery White Wine and Garlic Steamers

                                                 


Made steamers for the first time ever last week. Sort of perused different recipes to get some ideas, then made up my own. They were absolutely spectacular. I was very proud of myself- and I think we devoured like 2 huge bags of steamers (just me and Mike). Served with a loaf of fresh crusty bread to soak up all the amazing broth! This is summer time in New England. 

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 bags of steamers ( I think they were 1-2 pounds each)
  • 3/4 stick of butter
  • 1/2 onion diced
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 1/3 cup fresh chopped basil
  • juice of 1 lemon
Soak the steamers in cold water for 30 minutes prior to cooking. This will help remove most of the sand. 

After the 30 minutes, remove from water and give them all a good rinse off. We don't want to be eating a bunch of sand.

In a large skillet melt the butter over medium high heat. 

Add in the onion and sauté for a minute. Then add garlic. Sauté another minute or so until fragrant. 

Add in the steamers, then throw in the white wine and lemon juice.

Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes.

Give the sauté pan a little shake and make sure all of the steamers are opening. 

Simmer for another 5 minutes.

Discard any steamers that haven't opened. 

Garnish with chopped basil and serve with fresh crusty bread. 

The night I made these we had somewhat of a New England feast: Lobsters, steamers, corn on the cob and bread. It was my first time making both lobsters and steamers- and I think that I did extremely well. Me and Mike devoured pretty much everything I made. I feel like I need to cook seafood more often. It can be a little intimidating I must admit though, I totally rocked this one! Cheers!









No comments:

Post a Comment