This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Friday, September 18, 2015

Baked Mac and Cheese

                                             

Everyone needs a good homemade Mac and Cheese recipe. I made this in under 15 minutes, then just threw it in the oven to bake for about 30 minutes. Pretty easy and delicious. This is what I think of when I hear baked Mac and Cheese.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 cups shredded cheese of choice (I used sharp cheddar)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 8 oz of elbow macaroni 
  • Ritz crackers (1/2 sleeve about)
Put your pasta on to boil.

Prepare cheese sauce while pasta is cooking.

Melt butter over medium high heat in a large skillet.

Add in the flour, cook about a minute until well combined.

Slowly add in the milk, while stirring constantly. 

Roux should be thickening up as you're adding the milk. 

Reduce the heat and add in the cheese. 

Season to taste.

By now your pasta should be cooked to al dente. 

Drain the pasta, shaking off excess water. 

Add pasta into the cheese sauce, and stir so all the pasta is well coated.

Transfer into a baking dish.

Crumble Ritz crackers on the top.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, until crackers are golden brown. 

Since I made this at the beginning of the week, I've literally been dying to make this again. I've been refraining all week, but you better believe tomorrow (Saturday) I'm making a bacon jalapeño baked mac and cheese. Fall is coming and I just want to make some yummy comfort foods and start the hibernation process. Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment