This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Roasted Butternut Squash

                                                    

This is my go to recipe for roasting squash. Wether I'm making it for a side dish, or part of my butternut squash alfredo stuffed shells- roasted butternut squash is yummo.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 large or 2 medium butternut squashs 
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste 
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
Preheat oven to 375.

Place squash flesh side up in broiler pan.

Brush with olive oil.

Rub in brown sugar.

Season with salt and pepper.

Flip squash over so skin side is up.

Add 1/4-1/3 cup water to pan. 

Roast for 40-45 minutes, until skin can be pierced with fork.

Check occasionally to make sure squash isn't burning,
 add more water if necessary. 

Water should eventually evaporate to 
allow the squash to caramelize. 

When fully cooked remove from oven, allow to cool a
 bit before scraping the flesh from the skin into a bowl. 

To make a side dish, mash squash a little with a fork. 
Add in a little maple syrup and butter. Salt and pepper to taste. Cheers!


                                                           

Adapted from:

No comments:

Post a Comment