This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Green Bean Almandine

                                                  

One of our favorite side dishes to make, regardless of holidays or not. This did make it's way onto my Thanksgiving menu. There was a little dismay of my not making the typical green bean casserole, but all was well. Fresh buttery green beans, and toasty nutty almonds make this side amazing. Under 5 ingredients. Under 15 minutes. Yes. 

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1-2 pounds fresh green beans, ends snapped off
  • 2-3 tablespoons butter
  • 1/3 cup sliced almonds
  • salt and pepper to taste
                                               Throw snapped green beans in a 
                                                 medium pot with 1/2 cup water. 

                                      Cover and steam on medium high heat for
                                                10-15 minutes until fork tender.

                                  Strain green beans and place in a casserole dish.

                                                   While the beans are steaming, 
                               add butter to a small sauté pan. Melt over medium heat.

                                                            Add in sliced almonds, 
                                   and sauté in butter until golden brown. 3-5 minutes.

                                   Pour the almonds and butter over the green beans. 
                                                           Toss lightly to coat. 

                                          Season to taste with salt and pepper.

If you've never made, or even tried green bean almandine before I suggest you do. We also love making this side with roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy. Now that is a great dinner. You should totally make that. I think I might make that next week now that I'm thinking of it. Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment