This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Ham and Veggie Frittata

                                                 


This was another brilliant Brinner installment in the Forgione household. My first time making a frittata, primarily because I wanted to use all the rest of the ham and veggies I had in the refrigerator before I went food shopping again. Originally I was going to do some omelettes, but the prospect of frittatas have been enticing me for quite sometime. Another awesome utilization of the cast iron skillet. This was a rocking Brinner. The great thing about this recipe is you can pretty much choose any fillings you want. The ham and veggies are what I had on hand but like I always say- the possibilities are endless.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 5 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup diced ham
  • 1/2 diced onion
  • 1 cup baby spinach
  • 1 cup chopped broccoli
  • a few halved cherry tomatoes
  • 1/2-3/4 cup shredded mozzarella 
  • 2 tablespoons butter
Preheat oven to 425.

In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, spices,
 hot sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste.

In a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat melt butter. 

Add in onions and sauté about 2 minutes until softened.

Add the rest of the veggies, season with salt and pepper and 
sauté just until the broccoli starts to become tender (about 4 minutes).

Stir in egg mixture until well combined then stop stirring.

Cook undisturbed until the edges are set, 2-3 minutes.

Place in oven and bake until top is set and golden brown about 15 minutes. 

Sprinkle the cheese on top, return to oven and broil for about 2 minutes until the cheese is melty and golden. 


The kids helped me throw this together, and it was fun doing it together. They have a huge appreciation for the Brinner and vegetables to this was really a hit. This can be prepared and served within a half hour. Thats the kind of recipe I love for a busy weeknight. As always you can omit the ham to make this vegetarian. Cheers!




                                                            


                                                                                         Adapted From:
                                                                            Mushroom bacon spinach frittata

No comments:

Post a Comment