This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Chicken and Dumplings pt 2


I attempted to make chicken and dumplings back in March, and it came out decent. I was trying to duplicate the way my friend Kristy does it- of course it didn't come close to the original. So when I set out to try it again, I wanted to find a completely new recipe. I found a really awesome one on Pinterest- and the result was amazing! Here we go...

INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 bone in split chicken breasts ( You can use left over shredded chicken/ pre cooked rotisserie chicken- you need about 2 cups of shredded chicken)
  • 1 small onion- diced
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 container (32oz) chicken stock
  • 1 can of cream of chicken soup
  • 1 cup of half and half
  • 1/2 cup of frozen peas and carrots
  • 1/2 cup of frozen corn
  • 1/2 cup diced mushrooms
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cups of Bisquick
  • 2/3 cup warm water
Start off by preparing the chicken. I had two bone in/ skin on chicken breasts. So the first thing I did was take the skin off and discard. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder- and bake at 325 for about 30- 40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Remove from oven, let the chicken cool. Take the meat off the bones, and shred. Put chicken aside.


Place a large pot on the stove, add a little olive oil and sauté the mushrooms and onions over medium heat until tender- about 5 minutes. 

Add in the chicken stock, cream of chicken soup, half and half- season with salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a boil- then add the frozen veggies and the shredded chicken.

In a medium sized bowl combine the Bisquick and the warm water, stir until combined well.

Drop tablespoons of the Bisquick into the pot, try to space the dumplings evenly. Cover the pot and cook the dumplings for about 10 minutes, on medium/ low heat. Remove from heat and serve.

Before I served my chicken and dumplings, I carefully removed the dumplings from the pot with a slotted spoon- and placed on a plate. I did this so I could keep the dumplings from absorbing to much moisture and get soggy. We ate this in bowls- with a few dumplings on top and cranberry sauce on the side. The broth was so flavorful and all the veggies in it made me feel a little better about eating so much of it. The kids went crazy for it. This dish was more like a soup, but there isn't anything wrong with that. Believe it or not, it was even more flavorful the next day. Cheers!


adapted from: easy chicken n dumplings


No comments:

Post a Comment