This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Cornbead Sloppy Joe Casserole


I needed an easy sunday dinner about 2 weeks ago - and this was the winner! I had never made anything like this before, so it was really fun to try- and the kids devoured it. Instead of following the original recipe I read (using 1 box of Jiffy corn muffin mix), I did the cornbread recipe that was on the back of the cornmeal bag. It made way to much cornbread and it took forever to bake. Next time I will use the box of Jiffy- and I will save you the hassle and will include that method instead of my hair brained one.

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 medium red onion, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon BBQ sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 (14 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (8.5 oz) box Jiffy corn muffin mix
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • green onion for garnish (optional)
Heat a large skillet over medium/ high heat- and brown the hamburger until its almost cooked through. Drain off the excess grease (if there is any), then add in the onion and green peppers. Cook until the meat is cooked through.

In a medium bowl combine the brown sugar, vinegar, BBQ sauce, tomato sauce and worcestershire sauce. Then add the mixture to the skillet. Reduce heat and let cook about 5 minutes to thicken up.

In a bowl combine the muffin mix, milk, oil and egg. It will be a bit lumpy.

Transfer the sloppy joe mix to an 8x8 baking dish, then pour cornbread mixture evenly on top.

Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes, until the cornbread is completely cooked through. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese.

I served this with a little green onion, and a side salad. I will for sure be making this again in the future, but will be doing it the right way. The amount of cornbread mix I made was way to much and completely over powered the dish. So use the corn muffin mix- and yours should come out perfect! Cheers!


Adapted from: sloppy joe casserole



No comments:

Post a Comment