This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Orange Ginger Chicken Stir Fry


The Hubs and I were craving orange chicken a few weeks ago. I threw this awesomeness together with what I could find in my fridge and pantry. The flavors were out of this world. I used fresh oranges and ginger, which made all of the difference to me. The combination of the ginger and orange was unreal, so go with fresh. Cheers!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 package (raw) chicken tenders
  • breadcrumbs
  • 2 eggs
  • flour 
  • salt and pepper
  • veggie oil
  • 1 small can water chestnuts (drained)
  • 1/2 cup corn (I used frozen)
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrots
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic 
  • juice of 2 oranges
  • 3 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
  • 1/2 cup orange marmalade
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon mirin 
  • 1 clementine (peeled and segmented- cut each segment into bite sized pieces) 
  • sesame seeds (for garnish)
  • green onion (for garnish) 
Set up a breading station. One bowl flour with salt and pepper. Second with 2 beaten eggs. Third with bread crumbs. Dip each chicken tender into the flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. Set aside. 


In a large skillet heat up the veggie oil over medium high heat. Fry each chicken finger about 3 minutes on each side, until cooked all the way through. Set cooked chicken aside.


Give the skillet you were using for the chicken, a little wipe with a wet towel to get some of the frying residue off. Add a little fresh veggie oil in and heat it up over medium heat. Add in the carrots, corn and water chestnuts. Sauté while we get the sauce ready.


In a sauce pan add a tiny bit of oil and heat over medium heat. Add in fresh ginger and garlic. Sauté a minute until becomes fragrant. Then add in the orange juice, marmalade, soy sauce, vinegar and mirin. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes. 


Cut your cooked chicken into bite sized pieces and add it into the skillet with the sautéed veggies. Pour the orange ginger sauce over the chicken and veggies. Add in the clementine pieces and green onion, stir to incorporate everything together. 


Serve over white rice and garnish with more green onions and sesame seeds. 





No comments:

Post a Comment