This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Carrot Cake Poke Cake


Please excuse the pictures. I had to make due with what I had after 90% of this cake was devoured on Easter. I guess that's a good thing, because you now know the recipe is good! 

I love poke cakes! They're so fun to make, and even better to eat. The addition to the pudding into the cake makes it so rich and moist. And the homemade topping is delicious! I made the cake the night before Easter and threw it in the fridge. Then Easter morning I whipped up the topping, frosted the cake - then stuck it back into the fridge until after dinner. It was the easiest Easter dessert I've ever made. Cheers!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 box carrot cake mix (plus eggs, oil and water)
  • 1 box (3.5 oz) instant cheesecake pudding mix
  • 1 1/2 cups cold milk
  • 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 (16 oz) container frozen whipped topping (thawed)
  • chopped walnuts (topping)
Make carrot cake according to directions on box. Bake in a 9x13 baking dish.

When removed from oven poke holes all over the cake.

Mix pudding with cold milk, incorporate well. 

Just before it starts to thicken, pour pudding all over cake. 

With a rubber spatula spread and push pudding all over the cake into the holes.

Once the pudding has been absorbed into the cake, toss in the fridge and let sit over night.

To make the topping:

In a stand mixer cream together the cream cheese and powdered sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla in and then whipped topping. Mix until fluffy and everything is combined. 

Spread over the carrot cake.

Refrigerate until ready to serve, then sprinkle walnuts on top.




Adapted from: Carrot Cake Poke Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment