This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Bangers and Mash with a Guinness Onion Gravy


I'm always asking my husband to give me ideas of new thing to try for dinner. I love when I can take his suggestion, find a great recipe and then nail it. This truly came out amazing. The gravy was just awesome- and all of the components together, perfect. I felt like I was eating out at an authentic pub. I wish that I could have found some traditional banger sausage, but the bratwurst was a great substitute. 

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 pound of bratwurst sausage (or banger sausage if you can find it)
  • 1/4 cup guinness beer
  • olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 1/2 cup of Guinness beer
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can of beef broth
  • 1 tablespoon of Worstershire sauce
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup of water
  • Mashed potatoes
  • 1 package of birds eye steamers frozen peas
  • green onion for garnish
Place sausage in a large skillet and over medium heat add in the 1/4 cup of beer and a drizzle of olive oil. Cover and leave lid off a little- cook until beer is evaporated. Cook each side until it starts to brown- slowly cooking sausage until it's no longer pink in the middle. When the sausage is almost cooked, add in 1/2 of the onions and start to brown them with the sausage. 


While the sausage is browning you can prepare your mashed potatoes- here is one of my favorites - Cheddar Chive Mashed Potatoes.

Once sausage is completely cooked, remove from the pan. Add in the remainder of the onions and butter into the pan over medium high heat and cook until the onions are softened. Add in the 1/2 cup of beer and scrape all of the browned bits off of the bottom of the pan. Let simmer and reduce for about a minute, and then add in the beef broth and worcestershire sauce. Mix the cornstarch and water together, then whisk into the gravy. Cook over medium high heat and reduce until desired thickness. 














Serve sausage over the potatoes with gravy and peas. Green onion to garnish- optional.

This is a serious dish. I highly recommend making it the next time you get a hankering for some pub fare. Do it yourself and you won't disappoint! Cheers!









No comments:

Post a Comment