This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Shrimp and Black Bean Enchiladas with Jalapeño Cream Sauce


Sorry it's been so long since I posted! I have a few great recipes to share. I Made this one a little while ago and I remember it was so good! I had a few little tweaks to what I originally did with this recipe, so when you make it - it will be even better!

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 pound medium shrimp- peeled and deveined 
  • olive oil, salt and pepper
  • 3 cups of baby spinach
  • 1 onion diced
  • 1 green pepper diced
  • 1 small can of corn drained
  • 1 small can of black beans - rinsed and drained
  • 2 cups of monterey jack cheese
  • Flour tortillas
For Cream Sauce:

  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
To Start off we are going to roast the shrimp. Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread shrimp out and toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper- so they are all coated. Roast in oven for about 8 minutes or until they are pink and cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.

In a large skillet over medium high heat add a little olive oil, then the diced onions and peppers. Add a little salt and pepper and Sauté for about 3 minutes. Add in the baby spinach and cover. Allow the spinach to wilt down and stir occasionally. This should take only a few minutes. Once the spinach is wilted- season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat- stir in corn and black beans. Don't mix the filling up to much - the more you break apart the black beans the darker the whole filling becomes.

To make the sauce, in a pot melt butter and stir in the flour- cook for about 2 minutes to make a roux. Slowly add in the chicken stock and allow to thicken up. Stir in the sour cream, jalapeños, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Simmer for a few minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and add in the cilantro.


To assemble the enchiladas place a little of the veggie filling in the center of a flour tortilla, then some shrimp and a little cheese. 


Tuck in the edges and roll up. Spray a cooking dish (9x13 if making more than 4 enchiladas), and line up the enchiladas seam side down so they don't open on you. Pour the cream sauce on top.


 I like a little sauce and then able to use the extra for dipping after- so the tortilla edges crisp up in the oven. Mike however, likes them drowned in sauce- so he did the pouring and put it all on top. I found they got really soggy doing it that way- so use your own discretion of how much sauce you want to put on top. Add some of the remaining cheese to the top too if you'd like. 

Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes until it is bubbly.

I really need to try making this again - but doing it the way I described above. (Less sauce on top next time too, so they get crispy and not soggy). Can't wait! Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment