This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pizza Lunch For Me and the Kiddos



 Ollie (the already terrible almost 2 year old) got into the drawer that contains our take out menus this morning. Threw all menus aside except for a big flyer for Domino's. Then proceeded to run around the house with it repeating "pizza" over and over. So what else were we to do, but make some pizza's for lunch. 

I had some pizza dough that I bought at the store a few days ago and a half can of pizza sauce already in the fridge, it was perfect. I cut the dough in half to do 2 pizzas, a mommy one and a kiddo one.  The mommy pizza is my all time favorite pizza to make, my broccoli, fig and goat cheese pizza. I had this once at Uno's a few years ago and I fell in love with it. Never saw it again, so had to start making it by myself.

INGREDIENTS:
(Kiddo Pepperoni Pizza)

  • Half ball of refrigerated pizza dough (We used garlic flavored)
  • 1/4 cup pizza sauce
  • 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
  • sliced pepperonis
Preheat oven to 425, roll dough out into desired shape/ size. Mine always come out a little funky, and not quite round. PLace dough on baking sheet. Spread sauce over dough. Top with cheese. Arrange pepperonis on top. Bake 15-20 minutes until crust is golden brown.


INGREDIENTS:
(Broccoli, Fig and Goat Cheese Pizza)
  • Half ball of refrigerated pizza dough (used the other half of the garlic dough from above)
  • 3-4 tablespoons pesto
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
  • 1/4 cup broccoli chopped
  • 1/4 cup dried figs sliced 
  • goat cheese
  • shredded mozzarella
Preheat oven to 425. In a small sauté pan melt a little butter and add the tomato, broccoli and figs. Sauté 2-3 minutes until the broccoli is tender and turns a bright green. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and remove from heat. 

Roll out pizza dough and place on a baking sheet. Spread the pesto onto the dough. Evenly spread the sautéed veggies onto the pizza. Dollop little balls of goat cheese over the pizza and lightly sprinkle the whole pizza with a little mozzarella. Bake 15-20 minutes until crust is golden brown. 


It always pays to keep stuff to make pizza on hand. Wether you make your own dough (which I hate doing) or sauce. Having cheese and the basics to make pizza at home is such a good idea. You can make your own pizza at home in less time it will take you to order one and have it delivered. The kids will love you for it. You might love yourself a little more for it too, when you can eat a hot fresh lunch you'll enjoy and not feel guilty about. Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment