So lately I've been on the hunt for recipes with low calories, but still look delicious and filling. This was one that I found, It's 8 weight watcher points.
- 1 lb. frozen bread dough, thawed and left to rise
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 lb. hot Italian turkey sausage
- 2 c. pizza sauce, divided
- 1-⅓ c. part- skim shredded mozzarella
Brown sausage with peppers and onions; drain. Stir in 1-¾ c. pizza sauce
Divide bread dough into 8 equal sections; roll each section into a circle about 8" in diameter.
Place sausage mixture in the center of each circle. Top with equal amounts of cheese.
Fold dough over and seal by crimping with a fork.
Place calzones on baking sheets coated with nonstick spray. Spray calzones.
Bake at 500 degrees for 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with extra pizza sauce if desired.
This was my first time using turkey sausage, and it was really good. I couldn't even tell it wasn't regular pork sausage. Enjoy!
Credits: pepper sausage calzone