This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Monday, July 29, 2013

Turkey Sausage Pepper and Onion Mini Calzones


So lately I've been on the hunt for recipes with low calories, but still look delicious and filling. This was one that I found, It's 8 weight watcher points.

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 lb. frozen bread dough, thawed and left to rise
  • 1 large onion, sliced thinly
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thinly
  • 1 lb. hot Italian turkey sausage
  • 2 c. pizza sauce, divided
  • 1-⅓ c. part- skim shredded mozzarella

Brown sausage with peppers and onions; drain. Stir in 1-¾ c. pizza sauce

Divide bread dough into 8 equal sections; roll each section into a circle about 8" in diameter.

Place sausage mixture in the center of each circle. Top with equal amounts of cheese. 

Fold dough over and seal by crimping with a fork. 

Place calzones on baking sheets coated with nonstick spray. Spray calzones.

Bake at 500 degrees for 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with extra pizza sauce if desired.

This was my first time using turkey sausage, and it was really good. I couldn't even tell it wasn't regular pork sausage. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment