This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Mini Shepard's Pies


These were so fun to make. The kids were so excited to have "pie" for dinner. I was actually able to make 12 pies out of 1 pre made pie crust- by rolling it out on the thinner side and punching out the size I wanted with a glass. The kids loved helping with this. Pretty easy to throw together. Of course I had to make my own mashed potatoes (bacon and chive cheddar) which took a little extra time- feel free to use pre made or whatever you have on hand.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 pre made pie crust
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1/2 diced onions
  • 1 small can diced mushrooms (drained)
  • 2/3- 3/4 cup peas ( I used frozen and just boiled them until they were tender)
  • 1/4 cup beef broth or stock
  • 3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cups of mashed potatoes
Heat oven to 400- roll out the pie crust and punch out 12 rounds a little bigger than the size of a muffin tin. Press each of the crusts firmly in the muffin tins. Bake about 8 minutes or until golden brown- remove from oven and reduce heat to 350.



In a skillet over medium high heat add a little olive oil and start cooking the onions for about 3-4 minutes. Add in the beef and cook until browned. Drain the fat. Add in the mushrooms, peas, beef broth and worcestershire. Stir to combine - salt and pepper to taste.



Spoon the beef filling into each of the pie crusts- and top with the mashed potatoes. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing pies from the muffin tin. 



Pretty easy right? And so damn good. I think next time I want to try doing this with mini chicken pot pies! Like I said before, super kid friendly too! Cheers!


Adapted from: Mini Shepards Pot Pies


No comments:

Post a Comment