This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Tortillini with Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce


This was our Meatless Monday dinner this week! I know the picture doesn't look to great, but this dish was so fricken good! I doubled the original recipe, and it was a good thing I did because it was such a huge hit! The whole thing took under 30 minutes to make. By the time the pasta was done boiling, I had the sauce done and ready to go. Super quick weeknight meal, and everyone devoured it.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 3/4 bags of frozen tortillini (1 wasn't going to be enough, and 2 was going to be to much so I just sort of eyed it- adjust to how many people you are cooking for)
  • 1 cup pumpkin (100 pure pumpkin or pumpkin puree- do not use pie mix)
  • 2 large shallots finely diced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup grated parm cheese (I added a little more once the sauce came together because I like things cheesy)
  • 1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese
  • salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste
  • reserved pasta water (if the sauce gets to thick, use a little to thin it down)
Boil some salted water and cook tortillinis until al dente- drain and run some cold water over it to stop the cooking process.

While your pasta is cooking, make your sauce. In a large skillet heat up some olive oil over medium high heat. Add in the shallots and cook for about 2 minutes until soft and fragrant. Add in the pumpkin and some nutmeg and lower the heat to medium low. While constantly stirring, slowly add in the heavy cream. Turn the heat up to medium and bring to a simmer, while stirring add the cheese in until melted. Season with salt, pepper and more nutmeg to taste. 

Add in the cooked tortillinis and mix into the sauce. Turn it down to low and allow to warm for a few minutes. If sauce gets to thick add in a little of the reserved pasta water to thin it down. 


This was seriously one of the best alfredos I've made. And I've made a lot lately. Totally kiddo approved too (as you can see below). I love this awesome new way to use canned pumpkin. What a great recipe to get you ready for fall! Cheers!





Maxx Approved



Ollie Approved




No comments:

Post a Comment