This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Pumpkin Spice Icing


I had some left over canned pumpkin, from the pumpkin alfredo I made the other day. So I came across this recipe yesterday and adjusted it a little to fit what I had in the kitchen. The frosting turned into an icing, but whatever it still tasted awesome!

INGREDIENTS:
(makes 12 cupcakes)

  • 1 cup + 2 tablespoons of flour
  • 1/2 tablespoon of baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 stick of butter (softened)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg slightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin (not pie mix)
  • 1/2 cup of milk
For Icing/ Frosting mixture:
  • 4 oz of cream cheese
  • 3 tablespoons of butter softened
  • 3 tablespoons of canned pumpkin (Leave this out if you prefer a traditional frosting, this made the mixture really loose)
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon each of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg
  • 1-2 tablespoons of milk if frosting is to thick (mine was and adding this turned it into icing, so leave this out for more of a frosting)
Preheat oven to 375
In a bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spiced

In your mixing bowl or stand mixer cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in the egg and beat until combined. Add in the pumpkin and beat until combined. Alternate adding in the dry ingredients and milk. Stir until well combined.


Fill cupcake liners 2/3rds full. And bake for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

To make the Icing- in a mixer beat together the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar, vanilla and spices. Add in pumpkin and milk (leave these two out for a more tradition frosting. Adding these to mine made it an icing).

Frost cupcakes and Enjoy!

The kids devoured them! I let them create their own Halloween treats. Maxx made a pumpkin zombie. We had fun with this, fall is here officially now! Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment