This mom loves to cook

My photo
Hello! I'm Deirdre and I'm a stay at home mom to two boys. Cooking for a 6 and 4 year old- day in and day out can be the best job in the world, also the most frustrating. Trying to create not only kid friendly but husband and mom friendly meals is a challenge that I've readily accepted! My Foodie Mom blog is a record of the different recipes that I've tried in the kitchen, pictures of my ventures, and cool tricks I've picked up along the way. Cheers!

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Pumpkin Alfredo Lasagna with Chicken Apple Sausage and Spinach


Ok, I'm going to say this before we get started. Unless you really, really like the flavor of pumpkin ( I used canned pumpkin puree) - I would suggest you substitute the pumpkin for 1- 2 cups of roasted butternut squash (mashed). This is how I'm going to do this next time I attempt this. 

The pumpkin was really over powering and I think the subtle buttery flavor of butternut squash would go nicely with the chicken apple sausage and spinach. That being said- use which ever of the 2 you'd prefer. 

A friend of mine also suggested fresh roasted pumpkin- I think that might be a sugar pumpkin thats most used for cooking. Another friend of mine chastised me for using jarred alfredo sauce. Yes, I know I should have just sucked it up and made my own, but when doing so many components in 1 dish... jarred was just easier. Again, do whichever you would prefer. 

INGREDIENTS:
  • 12 lasagna noodles
  • 1 large container of ricotta
  • 1/2 cup parm cheese
  • 1 tablespoon italian seasoning 
  • 1 egg
  • salt 
  • pepper
  • 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree (or 1-2 cups fresh roasted pumpkin or squash)
  • 1 jar (15 oz) alfredo sauce (or about 2 cups home made)
  • 1-2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (to taste)
  • 2- 3 cups shredded mozerella 
  • 2 cups fresh baby spinach
  • 1 package (about 5 links) chicken apple sausage
  • 1/2 onion finely diced
  • olive oil 

Place lasagna noodles in a large deep skillet. Cover with water and cook over medium high heat until it comes to a boil. Boil about 3 minutes until noodles are pliable but not completely cooked.

Drain noodles, shock with cold water and set aside.

While the noodles are cooking- in a sauté pan cook the onions with a little olive oil until softened.

Remove sausage from casings and add to the pan and onions. 

Cook until the sausage is all broken up and cooked through. 

In one bowl combine the ricotta, 1/4 cup parm cheese, italian seasoning, egg, and a little salt and pepper.


In another bowl combine the pumpkin puree (or fresh squash or pumpkin), alfredo sauce and pumpkin pie spice. 


Once the noodles and sausage is cooked you're ready to assemble.

In a 9x13 pan, spread a littler pumpkin alfredo sauce on the bottom.

Place 3 horizontal noodles and 1 vertical to make the bottom layer.

1/2 of ricotta.

1/2 sausage onion mixture.

1/2 spinach. 

 pumpkin alfredo sauce.

1/3 shredded mozzeralla. 

A little parm, salt and pepper. 

Place your other 4 noodles down.

1/2 of ricotta.

Last of sausage onion mixture.

Last of spinach.

Pumpkin alfredo sauce.

1/3 shredded mozzarella. 

A little parm, salt and pepper. 

Finally the last of the noodles. 

Last of the pumpkin alfredo. 

Last of the mozzarella cheese. 

Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes, or until the top is golden and bubbly. 


I can't wait until I have another go at this recipe. I really think that butternut squash would be the perfect substitute for the canned pumpkin puree. If I had done that instead I think I would have enjoyed this recipe so much more. All and all a pretty great dinner anyway. Cheers! 














No comments:

Post a Comment